Friday, June 8, 2007

June 8


















June 8

Today we took the tube and train to Hampton Court, an old castle. The castle was filled with royal art and furniture and was surrounded by several beautiful gardens, including a maze (Sadly we didn’t find the end; we took the easy exit). We ate lunch by a charming fountain, where this little duck walked right up to me. My favorite part of Hampton was the Rose Garden. It smelled amazing…beautiful too; so we sat there and sketched.

After that we went to Sir John Soan’s House/Museum. It was pretty cool; there was like a million things to look at in this tiny little place. The walls were just lined with stuff, packed with tons of furniture and pieces he collected from everywhere imaginable, including an Egyptian sarcophagus.

Last we went to the British Museum. It was also very neat…just a ton of stuff to see from many different time periods and places. We got to see the famous Rosetta Stone, and my favorite part…pieces of the Parthenon. Also, in that same area were some cool statues from Greece and Rome.

So lastly…some things I’ve noticed about London…
There are little to no public bathrooms around. (Very inconvenient!)
I think I already said, but Pedestrians rarely have the right away.
The streets of London are backwards obviously, making this a scary place for Americans, especially when we naturally look the opposite way that we should we crossing the road and such.
There are buildings everywhere all scrunched together. It’s amazing the amount of people.
Because of all the people, it gets very crowded. I love that there are people everywhere, except when traveling on the trains.
Because everything is so scrunched, people have to make the most of the space. The bathrooms are tiny and have no windows. The hallways are skinny…
Everyone seems to be skinny and down-to-Earth. I haven’t seen one obese person.

Luckily, I have actually gotten over like 70% of my claustrophobicness here…I had to. O and I guess I never thought about it before…but we have an accent to them, just like they do to us…Might seem obvious, but I never thought about what it would be like to hear me from another culture’s perspective. Think about it…luv Sharele

1 comment:

Pete said...

that looks like a really cool shirt...u should definitely thank whoever got that for u cause they have great taste in gifts