Sunday, June 24, 2007

June 22








June 22

Wow so today was basically just traveling and waiting- not what I had expected. Leaving the hotel and taking the tube to the train station with all of us (looking very tourist) and our luggage was quite the adventure. I was actually better off than most of the others because I haven’t purchased much and my suitcase started lighter as well. Pretty funny actually, watching them (and doing it myself) try to lug their suitcases up and down several flights of stairs and escalators. We then waited for over an hour at the train station, three hours on the train to Paris…and my favorite… like 3 hours outside the Gare Au Nord (North Train Station). We seriously waited forever, and couldn’t get a hold of the bus charter people. The bus never showed up; we took taxis in the end. Then we got situated into our hotel for a little, and (I am rooming with Rachel and Lila.) went for dinner.

Ok so some stuff…
-First of all, I don’t know what it is, but I seem to be quite popular in France. Maybe it’s my blonde hair, but I am attracting way more attention than I’d like. Kinda strange, even with all 23 of us standing on the street in a big group with all of our luggage- several people picked me out of the group by either saying some comment or just looking, staring. Everyone else noticed it (even before I had). There was this one scary guy who walked past once- eyed me up and down, and winked, walked back again right up to me ( while I was in the middle of everyone!) With his friend and tried to say something. I didn’t realize he was really talking to me at first…I tried to ignore him (Pete) but he got closer and then asked me if I spoke English. I said yes. Somehow, luckily he left. But then came back again, first kissing at me and then again doing that sign for “I am watching you” with two fingers. Then came back again! -Yelling “I love the English!” with his hand in his shirt making a heart thumping action. By this time I was getting kinda scared, and so was the rest of the group for me. Lindsey made me trade her hoodies for a slight disguise. They also had me put the hood on and hide in the back against the wall. Insane! I hope this doesn’t ruin the rest of my trip in France though.
-I love the language. I am glad I know it a little; it’s fun to be able to recognize some words and be able to read the signs and stuff. Rachel and I are the only ones who know any French; so that’s fun too.
-The buildings are noticeably different- very French, yet still very Europe. I like it.
-The food is already better!
-Our hotel is good too. There are towels, wireless internet, opening windows, a shower door, hair dryer, and more. We also can kinda see the Eiffel Tower- which by the way was a slight disappointment. At first, I didn’t think that it was really it- that maybe we were looking at some sort of smaller remake. I thought it was bigger. Maybe it is still; I’ll have to see when I get closer. Also, I had always thought it was a dark color, when in fact it’s a light tan. Hmm…this should be fun. Luv Sharele

No comments: