Monday, June 18, 2007

June 16 and 17












June 16 and 17

So for the weekend I went with a group to Edinburgh, Scotland. Saturday morning we woke up at 4:15 (Record early…and yes I missed breakfast again! I am getting pretty upset about it too.) We took the train, a miserable five and half hours, to Edinburgh. Turns out I packed horribly, longs shorts and a dress for Sunday and both of my jackets and only flip flops for shoes. It was sooo cold and raining. We waited for like 45 minutes for our hostel guy, Muhammad (good old crazy Muhammad…lol) to pick us up. Our hostel was interesting…lots of bunk beds, quite run-down, but perfect and I slept well.

Anyway, I am excited to say that I enjoyed my first and only good meal since I have arrived in Europe. It was at this little Italian looking restaurant; I ordered a chicken, broccoli and garlic pasta…way good! -Made the whole trip worth it. We then decided to head up (walk uphill- the whole city is on a hill) to the Edinburgh Castle first. I was miserable in my flip flops, soaking wet, and couldn’t feel my feet, so Makele and Breanne and I stopped in to the first shop that might have clothes to help us. The little thrift store ended up having boots and a beanie…so I got them for 6 and 2 pounds respectively, and a little later picked up some socks. I was lots happier after that, but we had been left behind. So we made our way up to the castle, but ended up shopping for like an hour or so in several cute Scottish Shops. We actually got to the castle the same time as the others, come to find out they had tried to climb some wall to get there, not knowing of the stairs we took to get there. Don’t ask me how that happened. I decided the castle fee was too expensive, so the three of us and a sad Holly went to the gift shop and then wandered home. I then slept for like 2 hours, woke up for a little when the others got back, and slept again til morning.

Happy Father’s Day Dad!!! Sorry I couldn’t tell you myself, or even email… Miss you and Love you…Hope your day was great!

Our plan for today was to go to Klean Castle. So we got up, had Muhammad take us back to the train station, in which we took a train 35-45 minute ride to Glasgow to Ayr (one stop too far) and then was going to take a bus out to the castle but realized we wouldn’t make it there in time to get back and make the trains home…so we just went to the beach right there in town. I loved the ocean though, and the weather was nice. We then traveled back to Glasgow and Edinburgh by train, and then took another train 6+ hours with delays back to London, and then took the Tube 9 stops to get us back to our London hotel. So ya I spent like 16 hours on a train in the last two days. However, I did have a good time and I got to see Scotland- which by the way is beautiful and green and their accents are funny but cool. I wish I could’ve had the time to enjoy it a little more. So now it is really late; I am exhausted, having not slept on the train at all…its way too hard for me. Luv Sharele.

No comments: